Liposuction is a minimally invasive plastic surgery procedure with a relatively short healing period. Most patients can return to work after just a few days, and you can resume light exercise after just one week. You can gradually increase the extent and difficulty of your workout over the next month, taking care to push yourself only as far as you feel comfortable.
Maintaining a steady exercise routine and a healthy, balanced diet are key to maintaining your liposuction results, so we encourage you to do light exercise as soon as you can. Even just walking can make a difference.
If you’re interested in liposuction or have other questions about the liposuction recovery process, please call Dr. Diwan today at 440-871-9832 to schedule your consultation at our Cleveland office.
Recovery After Liposuction
After your liposuction procedure, you’ll need to take a few days to rest and recover. Although it is a minimally invasive procedure, it’s still surgery and you need to allow your body some recovery time. Luckily, most patients are up and about very quickly afterwards, most returning to work after just two or three days.
A general timeline for liposuction recovery usually looks something like this:
- First few days: Limited activity, rest and recover, take pain medication as needed
- First week: Return to work, resume light exercise such as walking or light jogging
- Second week: Gradually increase your exercise and activity level depending on how you feel and how you’re healing
- Fourth week: Resume all regular activity
Listen to your body and don’t overexert yourself. Trying to do too much too fast can complicate your healing process, but you also want to make sure you’re active enough. You want to find the balance between laying in bed doing nothing and doing a two-hour intense cardio workout every day.
Maintaining Your Results After Liposuction
Liposuction removes unwanted areas of stubborn fat for good, but you can still regain fat in and around the targeted areas if you lead a sedentary, inactive lifestyle. If you maintain a healthy and active lifestyle, however, your liposuction results can be permanent.
In order to maintain your liposuction results, we recommend the following:
- Follow a regular exercise routine. It doesn’t have to be super strenuous, but you should make sure you’re at least getting half an hour to an hour of activity in every day. If you can’t make it to the gym, take a walk around the block. If you can find an exercise that you enjoy, it’ll make staying active much easier.
- Eat a healthy diet. This means lots of home cooked meals that incorporate veggies, leafy greens, protein, and complex carbohydrates. It’s okay to eat out or have unhealthy foods every once in a while, just make sure you’re not eating junk every day.
- Limit your alcohol and soda intake. It’s easy to forget that drinks can have just as many calories as food. Again, you don’t need to cut these out entirely, but pay attention to how much you’re drinking and try to replace soda with water as much as possible.
Schedule Your Liposuction Consultation Today
If you’re interested in contouring your body through liposuction, contact Dr. Diwan at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center by calling 440-871-9832 today. We serve patients in Westlake, Cleveland, and other nearby areas of Ohio.