Problem Areas & Solutions
Patient Information Procedures
Patients often come to Dr. Diwan wanting to enhance some area of their face or body, but are unsure of their options or which treatment/procedure is best for them. At The Laser & Skin Surgery Center, Dr. Diwan works with each of her patients to develop a plan that best meets their unique needs and goals. Learn more about the different treatment options for various areas of the face and body.
- Brown spots on the sun-exposed areas of the upper chest are treated with a Medlite laser treatment. The MedLite laser can selectively treat brown spots. Prescription strength skin care products help to improve and protect the skin.
- The shape of the body is improved by removal of stubborn fat deposits by the tumescent technique of liposuction. Unsurpassed as the “gold standard for liposuction,” the tumescent technique is safely performed in the office with local anesthetic.
- Loose, sagging skin in the area of the bikini line is treated by a minor surgical procedure performed with local anesthetic, at the same time as liposuction or independently.
- Moderate skin looseness of the abdomen following liposuction or after having a baby can be tightened non-surgically with the Apollo Tripollar radiofrequency device.
- Tattoos are removed with special lasers to reduce the risk of scarring.
Rejuvenation of the cheeks includes one or a combination of the following:
- Melasma (pregnancy mask) and brown “age” spots can fade and disappear with Skin care regimens.
- Skin texture will be softer and smoother with a healthy glow after Microdermabrasion.
- The smile and marionette creases will be erased or softened with fillers (Restylane®, Juvéderm®, Restylane Lyft®).
- Fullness of the cheeks can be restored with Sculptra® or Juvederm Voluma.
- Appropriate acne scars, discoloration, and wrinkles are treated with fractionated carbon dioxide (CO2) laser resurfacing.
- Facial veins fade with laser treatment.
- Brown spots fade with laser treatment.
- Unwanted dark facial hair growth is permanently reduced by laser hair removal.
- Sagging skin and jowls are treated with a facelift.
Changes in the appearance of the skin and underlying tissues of the chin play a role
in the appearance of aging.
- Marionette creases and other wrinkles can be softened with fillers such as Restylane, Restylane Lyft, Kybella, or Juvéderm.
- Augmentation of the chin with Juvéderm Voluma.
- Double chin, from the accumulation of fat under the chin, can be treated with liposuction.
- Depressions and volume loss on the chin corrected with Sculptra or Juvederm Voluma, which supports the skin and helps to achieve better correction of skin creases.
- Finer wrinkles and acne scars are treated with fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing
- Unwanted dark hair on the chin is treated with laser hair removal performed in the office.
- A receding or underdeveloped chin is improved with a chin implant, providing more a stronger foundation and balance to the face.
Rejuvenation of the earlobe ensures that there are no telltale signs of aging when the rest of the face is treated.
- Creases in the earlobe are treated with fillers like Restylane or Juvéderm
- Brown spots can be eliminated with Laser treatment.
- Stretched earring holes or torn earlobes can be can be corrected in our office with a simple surgical procedure, with local anesthetic.
The tired and aging appearance of the eyelids can be improved with different treatments.
- Wrinkles are improved and prevented with specially formulated eye creams to help reduce aging and enhance elasticity.
- Sparse or thin eyelashes can be transformed to darker, longer, thicker and more attractive eyelashes by Latisse®, a prescription solution, applied to the base of your upper eyelashes, and is conveniently available at our office.
- Wrinkles around the eyes are smoothed with fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing
- Sagging tissue from the upper and lower eyelids is safely and comfortably treated with a “Blepharoplasty,” a surgical technique performed in our accredited surgical office.
- Dark circles under the eyes are a common complaint. Depending on their cause, dark circles may be treated with lightening creams to fade pigmentation, or fillers (e.g. Restylane) to reverse the volume loss under the eyes, or surgery to take care of the bags under the eyes.
- Small whitish cysts or yellowish “fat deposits” on the upper or lower eyelids are treated with minor office surgical procedures with local anesthetic.
- Red spots and blue veins on the eyelids are selectively and gently treated with a laser.
- Skin cancers on the eyelids are ideally treated with Mohs micrographic surgery for optical cure rates and tissue conservation.
Forehead and Eyebrows
A smooth, unlined forehead is characteristic of a rested youthful expression. Rejuvenation of the forehead may include:
- Creases across the forehead and frown creases that convey an expression of worry, unhappiness, fatigue or anger can be safely relaxed with Botox. The eyebrows can be reshaped, if desired, to a more youthful slope, with Botox.
- Skin creases across the forehead, and between the eyebrows (“the elevens”) can also be improved with fillers such as Restylane or Juvéderm, instead of (or in addition to) Botox.
- Drooping eyebrows can be elevated with Botox, fillers or surgical brow lifting.
- Sun-damaged skin and discoloration caused by “melasma” (pregnancy mask) can be transformed and reversed with skin care regimens, including prescription-strength products, which are available at our office for your convenience.
- Hollowing of the temples can be reversed by Sculptra, Juvederm Voluma or Restylane Lyft.
Smooth, soft hands with unblemished skin are a testament to youth and beauty. Your hands can look younger with a combination of treatments.
- Brown spots are erased with a special laser.
- Wrinkling of the skin is improved by fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing of the hands.
- The thin and bony appearance with prominent veins is improved with fillers to restore youthful fullness.
Solutions for problems on the legs include:
- Spider veins: Sclerotherapy remains the “gold standard” treatment despite the availability of lasers. Treatment of spider veins can give you the confidence to wear shorts or a swimsuit.
- Unwanted fat from problem areas like the hips (saddlebags), thighs, knees and calves can be safely and effectively treated by the “gold standard” tumescent technique of liposuction to improve the shape of your legs so that you can tuck your shirt in or wear shorts.
- Brown and red spots can be corrected to restore a more even appearance with specific lasers for each color.
- Tattoo removal can be achieved with special lasers with a reduced risk of scarring.
Mouth & Lips
Changes associated with aging and sun damage can be reversed with any one or a combination of treatments.
- The loss of definition or fullness of thinned lips, “smokers’ lines”, and drooping of the corners of the mouth are all improved with fillers (Restylane or Juvéderm). Botox can also elevate the corners of the mouth.
- Multiple wrinkles of the skin may be treated with fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing.
- Botox, used carefully and in tiny amounts, can help to prolong the correction of wrinkles obtained with fillers and laser resurfacing, and increase the height of the pink surface of the lip.
- “Brown spots” are effectively treated with laser treatment.
- Veins and bluish spots (venous lakes) are treated in the office with laser treatment.
- Excessive dark hair on the upper and lower lips is permanently reduced by laser hair removal.
- Melasma or “pregnancy mask” affecting the upper lip can be faded with skin care programs including prescription-strength lighteners, including special formulations of Vitamin C.
- Skin cancers are medical problems that require treatment. Mohs micrographic surgery achieves the best cure rates for skin cancers while maximizing tissue conservation.
Skin changes due to sun damage are often visible on the nose. Freckles, “age” spots or discoloration from “pregnancy mask”, wrinkles, veins, or pre-cancers and skin cancers are often present on the nose. Whiteheads and prominent pores may develop. Any of these problems can be treated effectively and safely, each with a specific treatment, chosen from a variety of options, to give you the best result.
- Mediate laser treatment is an effective treatment for defined brown spots.
- Fine wrinkles and acne scars are improved by fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing
- Wrinkles and creases on the nasal bridge, frown lines, and “bunny lines” on the sides of the nose are improved with Botox, a safe, simple and effective treatment. Fillers (e.g., Restylane) can supplement Botox when treating deep creases.
- Veins on the nose are successfully treated with a specific laser treatment in our office.
- Whiteheads and the appearance of skin pores are improved with microdermabrasion.
- Skin cancers on the nose are ideally treated with Mohs micrographic surgery which provides optimal cure rates and maximum tissue conservation, and can be performed comfortably in our office.