Cosmetic Dermatologist and Dermatologic Surgeon Dr. Renuka Diwan
Board-Certified with 26 Years of Experience
Specialist in cosmetic dermatology, aesthetic surgery and dermatologic surgery
Renuka Diwan MD is a Board Certified Dermatologist and fellowship-trained dermatologic surgeon and cosmetic dermatologist
with a private practice located in Westlake on Health Campus just minutes from Cleveland. Her passion for skin health
and medical aesthetics
, as well as her desire to solve and treat the problems related to them, motivate her to continue learning new techniques and refining her skill.
“My goal is to create a discernible difference that is age-appropriate and gives the patient back his/her self-confidence.”
Creating an elegant outcome is what Dr. Diwan strives for. She recognizes that every detail, every nuance can make a very big difference in the final result. She believes that every aesthetic procedure must lead to a natural look that is recognizable and never stretched, frozen or too obvious.
“Mine is a progressive approach. I investigate all new technologies, but only after careful research and analysis would I consider it for a patient.”
Dr. Diwan says that patients often come to her, having read about a new treatment or methodology. “There is a lot of misinformation and hype out there. My job is to do my due diligence and not just go along with the trends,” she says. That carefulness and focus on patient safety is what sets Dr. Diwan apart and has created such a loyal patient base over the last 20 years.
“I spend more time with my patients. I want to know their preferences, concerns, biases, and fears so that I can tailor their treatment – not just to their cosmetic or medical needs – but with a concern for the whole person.”
Dr. Diwan considers that she and her patient are equal partners in determining what is right for that person. She says that it takes a lot of educating to come up with the most appropriate plan. She commented, “This is not just a bottom line orientation – we want the best results and happy patients.” In fact, she sees all patients for a complimentary follow-up appointment to monitor their progress and answer questions.
“Safety is a priority. We use careful techniques developed with experience and the latest information. We follow best practices at every step – cleanliness, how products are handled, the logs we keep, patient education – everything is done to the highest possible standard.”
Dr. Diwan says she hires staff with a similar commitment to optimizing results and patient experience. She is totally focused on achieving the results her patients desire.
“We are committed to running a “Green Practice.”
Dr. Diwan and everyone in her office are committed to recycling and minimizing waste in their office, and they select materials and cleaning products that have the least environmental impact whenever possible without compromising the outcomes.
“On a personal note, I love traveling, walking, skiing, cooking and reading. I love learning about art, architecture, current events and just about anything.”
Both of Dr. Diwan’s parents are physicians. She has been married to her husband, a non-invasive cardiologist, for 26 years. They have a 23-year-old son who is a Stanford graduate and a 22-year-old daughter, a Brown graduate. Once a week, Dr. Diwan volunteers in a program for developing literacy in Bhutanese refugee children. She is passionate about environmental sustainability and has been a vegetarian for 5 years. She participates annually in a pro bono community skin cancer screening program (co-ordinated by the American Academy of Dermatology).
Education and Experience
- Board Certified in Dermatology and Mohs Micrographic Surgery.
- Residency in Dermatology at Metrohealth Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio
- Fellowship in Dermatologic Surgery at UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco, California.
- Member of the full-time faculty at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, where she also served as Director of Dermatologic Surgery before returning to Ohio.
- Currently serves as clinical assistant professor at the Case Western Reserve University Department of Dermatology. Established and owns her private practice in Westlake.
- Has authored chapters in textbooks on dermatologic surgery and taught at national seminars.
- Attends annual courses and national meetings to be up-to-date with the latest techniques and developments in the fields of dermatology, laser and cosmetic surgery.
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology
- Cleveland Dermatologic Society
at University Hospitals of Cleveland and St. John Medical Center.